Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Search for Mt. Wendy

After a crushing defeat by a hated rival, we knew the 3.5 hr bus ride would be a brutal one.

Coach commanded, "No talking....and no dinner."

No talking happened, however, no dinner was simply a phantasm. Apparently atrophy had begun to set in after about an hr into the ride home.

Many years have passed since that fateful day. I was unfamiliar with Ohio at the time, however, my current territory encompasses the area where this momentous event took place.

Well, we stopped at a hilly, truck stop at a McDonald's right off a highway. We began to unload. There, beheld us a great, steep (65 degrees) hill...I mean, tall...at least 50 ft with rocks everywhere. Atop this great hill was a Wendy's...by far coach's favorite fast food locale. Yes, by FAR his favorite.

Well, he angrily trudged away from the McDonald's and was headed up to the hill. A few players followed. In a rage, he turned.

"MRRRRAAAAGHHHH! Players eat at McDonald's...Wendy's is for coaches. MRRRRAAAAGGHHH!!!"

It was horrific. And then, the morbidly obese man made his way up the hill. I give him all the credit in the world...there wasn't a man on the team who didn't think that he'd expire before the top. Well, he made it there. Now, what was great about it is that unlike Mt. Everest where there is a pleasant summit camp, Mt. Wendy greeted with a parking rail. And making like Rick Flair let himself go 100 times, he made his way over the rail.

Now, most of you know this story, if you know me...if you ever played with me.

But this is not the end of the story. As I've noticed, we cannot remember where the site of Mt. Wendy is located.

I've had my suspicions. Logan, OH looks familiar. In between sales calls last week, I surveyed the area. There is no Wendy's juxtaposed with McDonald's....but the area has been developed and it's possible that the restaurants could have moved. It's been several years. Another possibility is Cambridge, OH...I need to make it a point to check it out.

This is like a sick archaeological hunt. We are searching for a piece of history, here! I could go into further detail, but it picks at my mind when I drive through SE Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment