Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Why Dealing with the Ignorant and Uneducated is NOT my Forte


So, the wifey thought it was a good idea to get some things off her chest...



In all fairness, I think anyone who knows me would not call me a massively patient person of over-abounding kindness and wellbeing. Most would probably just call me a bitch. But the point is that I am only a bitch when it is necessary to bring the bitchness forward, like when I believe you are acting like the most uneducated fuck in the room.



For example, while at work, when I call clients to inform them of a positive test result, an expected intelligent response would be “Great, thanks for the news!” or even a simple “Ok, bye!” But this seems to be a response I get in only 1 of 50 calls. Normally I get about 10 seconds of silence and then a question “Is that good or bad?” DID I NOT JUST TELL YOU IT WAS GOOD?!?! Did you listen to anything I just told you? No, of course you didn’t. You probably couldn’t even tell me my name, despite the fact that it was the first thing I told you once I had you on the phone.



Or when we check in surgeries, and we tell clients ear cleanings and nail trims are free during sedation, and then you turn around and ask me how much they are….I want to slap you. Because I like my job, I abstain.



Just because I happen to work with mainly females, does not mean we are all the same person. When you call in and assume just because it’s a female voice that I know who you are by sound and that I clearly spoke with you last week, that I immediately know what you are calling about and should read your mind. It has never occurred to you that I was not even in the building when you actually called last week and I have no idea who you are. It’s okay though, because I understand that you can’t comprehend that I do not work 100% of the time, and so I pretend I have a clue what’s going on and fix whatever problem you are calling about.



Also, just because you call or come in and I may happen to work behind a reception desk does not give you the right to look down on me or treat me as an inferior because you mistakenly believe I am dumb and thus cannot get any other job except to answer phones. Actually, I’m a quarter from graduation with honors and cannot find another job that is so flexible with my school or harsh personality. Every time you look down your nose at me, I memorize your face and pray you will end up as a patient of mine in the very near future. It’s cool though, think I’m dumb, we’ll see who is dumb when you blow your ACL chasing down your overweight pet.



Next time you call somewhere or stop in to a business, rethink what you say. You are being judged, and usually by someone who already thinks you ignorant. Don’t prove me right.

2 comments:

  1. I automatically presume all front desk people as doofuses until competence is proven by glorious schedule maneuver or fantastic advice. Unfortunately for you, you are in a profession of 85% doofuses. It must be difficult to prove you aren't a bimbo every time a new customer walks in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are also incredibly impatient...you become incredibly uncouth when such obstacles of ignorance are placed in front of you!!

    ReplyDelete